Finding effective methods to build competence can help you improve your performance and become a higher achiever.
You’ll see better results if you devote more time to improving your competence in any field.
Enhancing your abilities boosts your confidence, and confidence can be a good partner for highly successful people.
Learning to be competent is like taking care of your home. If you do not clean, dust builds up. The necessity of keeping your house clean will never end. If you want to stay with it and attain the desired success, the job of building your competence is never finished.
What is Competence?
A person’s competence is their ability to complete something efficiently and successfully. It’s the ability to perform something effectively.
Competency means having the expertise and knowledge to perform the task. Competence in a job is the capacity to think and act in a manner that can lead to the accomplishment of the task.
It is possible to define the term “competence” as a mix of skills, knowledge as well as attitudes and individual traits that can be seen in behaviour in the workplace and needed to accomplish certain objectives.
While the terms “skill” and “competence” are frequently used interchangeably, there are distinct in their meaning. The term “skill” refers to ability. Skill is one of the components of competence. It means that competence is something more broad and maybe more abstract than the term skill.
The Types of Competence
The kinds of competence are:
- Unconscious competence is the capability to perform a task you aren’t aware of. Examples include dressing or brushing your teeth.
- Conscious competence refers to your awareness of the things you’re doing. When you focus closely on things, your attention is increased, which could lead to improved performance.
- Reflective competence involves thinking about your choices. Reflection allows you to learn from your experiences so that you can make the necessary adjustments required.
- Competency in achievement-related areas refers to factors that must be in place to make a successful career, such as motivation, self-discipline, determination, perseverance, focus, planning, and motivation.
To enhance your competency in any field, it will be necessary to build soft and technical abilities, interpersonal skills, critical and strategic thinking abilities, and communication skills.
It is a continuous learning process, and gaining a better understanding of the process or the learning stage must be a constant focus.
Ways to Build Competence for Better Results
Here are some ways to build skills that improve your competence, allowing you to achieve new goals, greater heights and be a more successful performer.
Set a goal, and make a plan!
What skills do you want to learn or master? Or, what are the goals you want to be able to accomplish? If you need clarification, Ask your manager, colleagues, relatives, or friends what they know about you and what areas you’d like to improve. Select the competencies and skills you want to master or acquire.
Identify areas of improvement or skills you want to develop.
A purpose is the initial step. The term “competence” is often a vague notion. The ability to define its core capabilities and skills can aid in making the concept more concrete. It is possible to develop new personal characteristics and attitudes (the remaining elements of a skill) after you have begun applying the competence and knowledge base in your practice. Defining what success means for you and what is relevant to your particular subject or area of expertise is important. When you have defined your goals, You can conduct your studies, take classes, and study with others to improve your skills.
Listen more than you talk.
Mark Twain said, “If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear.” If you listen, you get to know yourself and can avoid “blind spots” — imperfections that are obvious to others but not to you. The higher you climb in an organization, the more critical it is to be attentive.
Join dedicated networks or groups.
The right network is essential. If, for instance, you want to learn how to write, It is beneficial for you to be a part of a writing group and interact with other writers. In most cases, taking advantage of the experience and knowledge of others and putting in the work is the fastest method of gaining competence.
- Watch how others perform their tasks, focusing on the knowledge and skills they employ. This method works best for tasks that require manual handling than for tasks with a conceptual aspect.
- Talk to colleagues who have learned these skills before and inquire about the methods they used to achieve this. People love to talk about their lives, so don’t be concerned about getting an unwelcome look.
- Look for opportunities to learn and master this skill and know-how. Are there any workshops or classes you can take or books you can read? What do you think? Maybe there’s an available budget that could provide funding for the cost of or subsidize your education.
Mentors can help you determine the appropriate skills to build in line with your long- and short-term career objectives. They can also assist you in selecting the best learning method to develop these skills. If you are looking for a mentor, look for someone with the expertise you are looking to acquire, as well as a similar set of values and ethical principles to you. For instance, if you want to improve your skills in managing projects, talk to an individual you admire who has years of experience in the area. There are a few benefits to mentoring.
- Access to role models Skills: can be developed through watching your mentor in their expertise.
- Career advancement opportunities: The relationship you have with a mentor could boost your chances of obtaining advancements and raise the scope of your responsibility.
- Development of skills: Mentors can assist you in improving your current skills and acquiring new ones.
- The satisfaction of your job: Mentorship offers you direction and clarity about your job, which increases the satisfaction you have at work.
Challenge yourself through practice and action.
The best way to improve your competence is to practice. The more you do something, the more comfortable it becomes. This can also mean that it is easier to perform successfully after a while.
Learn as you go along.
When you have completed each step, you should ask yourself, “What should I Stop, Start, and Keep?” Consider the aspects that didn’t go well (stop) as well as those you didn’t take care of, which would have been beneficial (start), as well as the things that went well (keep). Continuously increasing your performance is a great method to improve your skills, and it can turn good into amazing!
Request feedback on a regular basis.
You’ll be able to gauge your progress if you keep track of your improvement. This is why having someone or people in your field you will be accountable to and give constructive feedback is essential.
Create it once, and use it many times.
If you are sure that you will complete a task multiple times, make an outline, checklist, or template that will help you reduce time and increase your efficiency in the long run. There is no need to reinvent the wheel each time you host or organize an off-site meeting, write an outline, send out an email, create the following project’s timeline, or any other.
Teach what you are learning.
It’s been said that when it comes to teaching, you are studying it again. The process of teaching what you’ve learned requires you to verify the knowledge you impart. This will also give you the opportunity to improve your understanding of the subject or skill you want to master.
Read More: The Compounding Effect: The Power of Small Incremental Improvements
Read More: Why Consistency is An Important Habit
Read More: Analysis paralysis, why it kills productivity, and how to overcome it
The Benefits of Developing Competence
If you are able to develop expertise in areas of interest to you, your benefits are:
- You’ll feel more confident in yourself.
- You’ll complete your tasks quicker or more effectively.
- You’ll make fewer errors and, consequently, you’ll require less time to finish tasks.
- You’ll reduce the risk that you’ll compromise your security.
- You’ll be more educated and well-informed.
- Increase your chances to take advantage of opportunities.
You’ll benefit yourself and others when you discover ways to build your competence in any field. Skilled professionals will be able to recognize the skills required to achieve the results they want.
One area I was looking to master was writing. In the beginning, I was looking to master the art of writing well-detailed SEO articles, which is why I spent plenty of time online and offline with my mentor, asking plenty of questions and practicing to sharpen my abilities.
Developing competence is not difficult when you understand what needs to be accomplished.
Being competent at something implies that you can use it to get a different outcome or create a better experience.
If you work on developing your competence, you’ll feel more confident about achieving the outcomes you want.
If you’re not proficient, you’re at risk of making mistakes, and it can take longer to accomplish your important goals.
Activity Steps: Select a skill you’d like to gain more competence in. Find two people who could assist you in gaining proficiency in this specific area. It could be as simple as taking an online course or attending a class. Determine what new perspectives on your competence you must create. This should be done next week, and you can start building your competence in the area.