Not every person comes from the perfect family; this article provides plenty of family quotes that speak to negativity and loss of love. The quotes can aid you in determining whether you are part of such a family and provide you the courage to step away from negative energy, get your head clear, and not let negative energy be a part of your life.
The perfect family includes one where everyone supports, shields, and guides one another, but a dysfunctional family is completely different. The quotes below will help you rid yourself of frustration and anger, provide clarity, and allow you to leave the past that was bad to the past.
Table of Contents
What Are Toxic Families?
If you were raised in a toxic environment, any one or more of the following are likely to ring true:
- Many times, you suffered the consequences of failing to meet unreasonable standards.
- Your parents aren’t trustworthy enough (or your older sibling) to be your protectors;
- You were severely criticized and were taught to keep your head in the shadows;
- Most of the time, you don’t feel safe around them;
- You were judged as unchanging or for not making changes quickly enough;
- You were always expected to place the needs of others before your own.
- Acting invisible costs you less than asking for something you need.
Toxic Family Quotes
Certain families leave more scars than others; if you’ve had to cut yourself from the majority of family members you grew up with in order to heal, the below quotes are for you.
- “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.” – Unknown.
- “The more dysfunctional, the more some family members seek to control the behavior of others.” -David W. Earle.
- “Love them from afar. Be praying for them, make them feel loved; however, don’t let them hurt you.” – Kimber Waul.
- “A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love.” Sherrie Campbell.
- “Family should be a refuge, not a place where you have to constantly defend yourself.” – Unknown.
- “You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.” -Joel Osteen.
- “Weeding out the harmful influences should become the norm, not the exception.” – Carlos Wallace.
- “Family is where you’re meant to be most free, don’t let blood chain you down.” -Michelle Meleen.
- “Toxic family relationships spoil all other relationships unless you remove the poison before it’s too late.” – Unknown.
- “Toxic family members will see expressions of forgiveness as weaknesses to exploit. Don’t give in to their tactics this way. You should forgive them for your own healing, do it, let go of the weight.” – Sherrie Campbell.
- “Cutting off toxic family members may be difficult, but it’s necessary for your own mental well-being.” – Unknown.
- “Don’t let toxic family members manipulate you with false kindness; their intentions are never sincere.” – Unknown.
- “Saying ‘no’ to a toxic family member shows that you understand what family truly means.” – Unknown.
- “Toxic family members are experts at playing mind games; don’t fall into their traps.” – Unknown.
- “When toxic people can no longer control you, they will try to control how others see you.” – Unknown.
- “Cutting toxic people off doesn’t make you a bad person, selfish, or weak. Cutting toxic people off means you value your integrity over what other people think about you.” – Unknown.
- “No matter what you’ve suffered, the abuse was not your fault. Not as an innocent child, teenager, nor as an adult.” – Dana Arcuri.
- “Toxic parents care more about how you make them look than how you actually feel.” – Unknown.
- “In my home, and in every dysfunctional family, instead of parents who are positive and loving role examples for their children, there are those who make use of their children. I was the child trying to be the one who took on the role of a husband.” – John Bradshaw.
- “When we are raised in toxic families, we often go through a time period, and for some of us, a lifetime of repeating the toxic patterns we were raised in with other people in our lives. We do this until we decide we’ve had enough pain and choose to genuinely examine our patterns and stop the craziness for good.” – Sherrie Campbell.
- “Ending the destructive cycle in your own life isn’t an easy task. If you’re not part of a healthy family, try to ensure that the healthiest one comes from you.” – Steve Maraboli.
- “A toxic family can poison your soul, it’s important to distance yourself from them for your own well-being.” – Unknown.
- “Family should be the ones lifting you, not dragging you down into toxicity.” – Unknown.
- “Just because you’re related to someone doesn’t mean you have to tolerate their toxic behavior.” – Unknown.
- “Toxic people are like cancer; they will eat away at you until there’s nothing left.” – Unknown.
- “You don’t have to prove your self-worth to receive love and respect. Toxic people will never see that.” – Unknown.
- “A toxic family member can make you feel like you’re the problem when, in reality, it’s their toxic behavior that’s causing the issues.” – Unknown.
- “The road to freedom is lit by the bridges that you’ve burnt, decorated by the ties you’ve made, then cleared of the drama that you left behind. Let go. Be free.” – Steve Maraboli.
- “You don’t get to choose your family, but you do get to choose how they’re allowed to treat you.” – Unknown.
- “Love them. Be praying for them, make them feel good however, don’t let them hurt you.” – Kimber Waul.
- “A good family will see your boundaries and move around them; a toxic family won’t even realize they’re there.” Unknown.
- “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.” -Mark Twain. Mark Twain.
Mean Family Quotes
- “Mean family members will gaslight you and make you question your reality.” – Unknown.
- “Her father is a burden she shouldn’t have to carry, but she does. He had made her feel unsafe in the world when his one job was to make her feel protected.” – Krystalle Bianca.
- “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it.” – Shahida Arabi.
- “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent (the standard) and kick them out.” – Robert Tew.
Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “Unsupportive family is your weakness, so leave the ones that hurt you.” – Unknown.
- “Always remain solid, even when you aren’t supported by your family. In order to succeed, it is essential to quit the people who slow your advancement.” Unknown.
- “Some family members will only reach out when they need something, and then disappear when you need them.” Unknown.
- “The fear of abandonment forced me to comply as a child, but I’m not forced to comply anymore. The key people in my life did reject me for telling the truth about my abuse, but I’m not alone. Even if the consequence for telling the truth is rejection from everyone I know, that’s not the same death threat that it was when I was a child. I’m a self-sufficient adult, and abandonment no longer means the end of my life.” – Christina Enevoldsen.
- “Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home.” – Anthony Liccione.
- “As crucial as it is to know how to deal with various types of people, toxic people are not worth your time and effort as they consume lots of each. People who are toxic cause unneeded complexity, conflict, and, most of all, stress.” – Travis Bradberry.
- “Let go of negative people. They only show up to share complaints, problems, disastrous stories, fear, and judgment on others. If somebody is looking for a bin to throw all their trash into, make sure it’s not in your mind.” – Dalai Lama.
- “Let go of toxic family members. Embrace friends and other family or relatives that supports your path towards your dreams and goals. Because life is too short for tolerating toxic relationships and letting them hold you back any longer.” – Unknown.
- “It’s rare for a toxic person to change their behavior. More often, the only thing that varies is their target and the blame they place. Because some toxic people are difficult to identify, keep in mind that a victim mindset is sometimes a red flag. So, listen when someone talks about their life and circumstances. If the list of people they blame is long… it’s probably only a matter of time before you’re on that list.” – Steve Maraboli.
- “You can’t live a positive life if you always got people around you dragging your energy or thoughts down or keeping you in a standstill year after year.” – Unknown.
- “People who try to bring you down every day aren’t important in your life, so you better treat their opinions as such.” – Terry Mark.
- “Keep away from those who are trying to undermine your goals. Smaller people are always doing that, but the truly great inspire you to believe that you are able to become amazing and great.” – Mark Twain.
Dysfunctional Family Quotes
- “Dysfunctional families have sired a number of pretty good actors.” – Gene Hackman.
- “If you grew up in a dysfunctional family, then there is really no hope for you to have a good relationship. That is another myth that we have to throw off so that we can get into what I call Reality.” – Gary Chapman.
- “Fake family members will always put their interests above yours, even if it means hurting you in the process.” – Unknown.
- “We arrive and depart this life alone. Every moment in-between is a unique opportunity to experience as much love and belonging as we can possibly muster. Instead we obsess over petty differences and turn our backs on those we are supposed to love.” – Anthon St. Maarten.
- “Don’t let toxic people infect you with the fear of giving and receiving one of the most powerful forces in this world. love!” – Yvonne Pierre.
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah.
- “Sometimes you have to leave. Eliminate toxic family relationships as they are more hurtful than they benefit. Begin to rebuild the definition of an ideal family life, free of the toxic members of your family.” – John Ash.
- “Not all toxic people are cruel and uncaring. Some of them love us dearly. Many of them have good intentions. Most are toxic to our being simply because they aren’t inherently bad people, but they aren’t the right people for us. And as hard as it is, we have to let them go.” – Daniell Koepke.
- “A dysfunctional family is not a family at all, it’s a toxic relationship parading as a requirement.” – Unknown.
- “A toxic mother talks but never listens, and she gives advice but never takes any.” – Sherrie Campbell.
How You Can Use These Toxic Family Quotes
These quotes from toxic families make us aware of this, and we’ve devised several ways to make them work to improve your mental well-being.
Find what you like and take the rest off.
Research has proven that keeping a diary does well for mental well-being. You might want to consider using one or two of the quotes on toxic families as prompts to inspire you and help you release any stress or worries you may have.
Focusing on concepts and ideas is a fantastic method to absorb the ideas; concentrate on quotes that you love during periods of quiet meditation. You should choose one quote for each session.
Share on Social Media
Sharing them on social media can help you to convey your emotions, and it can also aid someone struggling with similar situations.
After having read these toxic family quotes, which ones make you think most strongly about your past or current circumstances? And what would you include?
Seek out someone close to you who is willing to listen while you read them aloud. You’re done hiding!
Toxicity is harmful, but remember that you can achieve an improved quality of life for yourself; you have to stand up and take responsibility for your life. It is essential to prioritize your health and wellness and to surround yourself with those who inspire and support you, regardless of whether you choose to distance yourself from family members who are negative or completely cut off your relationships. We hope these quotes about toxic families will remind you that family isn’t only about blood ties; it’s about people who care, love, encourage, and correct you.